NV Eye Surgery is a national leader in the development of technology and protocols for office-based eye surgery. Five years ago Dr. DeBry had an impression that the future of eye surgery would be centered on providing services in the office rather than the hospital or surgery center. Working with Dr. Todd Jackson they developed a business model for in-office surgery and created the protocols to certify an in-office surgery center. Dr. Jackson was the first surgeon to do office-based surgery in Nevada at the Prestige Laser and Cataract Institute. When Dr. DeBry and Dr. Jackson merged their practices, the surgery center moved to the NV Eye Surgery Henderson location. The surgery suite was remodeled in 2017 to provide space for Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery. We are the only practice in the state of Nevada offering eye surgery right in the office and are now one of only a few practices across the country that can offer the highest technology procedures such as laser-assisted cataract surgery in the office for your convenience and cost-savings.
Eye surgery has several characteristics, which make it ideal for an office-based environment.
- The eye is a very clean area of the body
- A small sterile field can easily be created around the eye
- Eye surgery can be done with minimal discomfort with local anesthesia
- Eye surgeries are generally short procedures, lasting 15-30 minutes each
- Mild sedation with an oral pill is typically enough to make most people comfortable during their surgery
Eye surgery in the office sounds scary, but most people do great with it. My best analogy is comparing it to a trip to the dentist for a cleaning. It is a little uncomfortable, takes about 15 minutes, and has great rewards. We have a great team that makes the whole experience comfortable and smooth.
– Dr. DeBry
Not everyone qualifies for office-based eye surgery. Unstable medical conditions such as chest pain, very high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes, or certain heart problems cannot be done in the office and should be done in a surgery center or hospital where better monitoring equipment is available. People with higher levels of anxiety that might require IV sedation should also be done in a setting with an anesthesiologist.
What surgeries are eligible to be done in our office-based surgery center?
- Cataract surgery
- Refractive Lens Exchange
- Pterygium surgery
- ICL surgery
- Glaucoma procedures
- Corneal procedures
Why can’t all procedures be done in the office-based surgery suite?
Insurance company reimbursement is our biggest roadblock that interferes with office-based surgery. Most insurance companies, including Medicare, require eye surgery to be done in a hospital or ASC. We believe that these regulations will change over time, but currently, only cash pay procedures and a few limited insurance companies can be done in the office-based surgery suite.
What are some benefits to office-based surgery?
Our research and clinical experience confirm that office-based eye surgery is safe and effective. There are several benefits to having surgery done in our office. Because no IV sedation is required, there is no need to fast or have uncomfortable IV’s placed. There is also a significant financial advantage for certain groups of people.
- People with no medical insurance. Because the financial requirements for office-based surgery are different than a hospital or Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) we are able to offer many eye surgeries at a significantly reduced price. Most surgeries are priced $1000 less than other eye surgeons (ophthalmologists) in Las Vegas or Henderson.
- People with a high deductible. Many insurance plans now have a $2500 or $3000 deductible. Office-based eye surgery allows most people to save $300-$400 on their surgery. Typical cataract surgery costs include the surgeon, an anesthesiologist, and the surgical facility. With office-based cataract surgery, there is no anesthesia fee, and the facility fee is significantly reduced. These differences allow for the typical $300 savings.
- People who want high technology services with their cataract surgery such as a multifocal IOL, Toric IOL, or laser-assisted cataract surgery and have Humana or Senior Dimensions insurance. Because our fee structure is lower, we can provide high-technology services for a competitive price compared with other practices in town. We are one of only a few practices in the whole country that the availability of office-based laser-assisted cataract surgery. We invite any patient interested in a multifocal IOL, a Toric IOL, or laser-assisted cataract surgery to come in for a free cataract screening and compare our prices and technology to any other surgeons in Las Vegas or Henderson.